Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mmmmm Tasty!

Normally I don't do this kind of thing... but I actually cooked dinner yesterday!  Since being pregnant, I've actually felt the need to make myself real dinners even when I'm home by myself at night.  I think a lot of that probably has to do with me craving every type of Mexican food and that I only get to eat those foods if I cook them for myself when Nate isn't home.  Yesterday in particular, I really really wanted some chili verde.  I figured in the crock pot would be the easiest way to make it.  I found a recipe online that seemed pretty good but I made some adjustments to make it more what I wanted.  And here is what I ended up with!

My rice and chili cooking

Don't they look yummy?  (yes... they do.)


The chili is amazing on top of the rice.  Or also wrapped up in a tortilla.  I tried them both, they were SO good!


I suppose you might want the recipe for my yummy tastiness.  Here it is:

6 chicken tenders, cut into pieces
1 medium yellow onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
olive oil

saute all of that together just long enough to cook the outside of the chicken, then add to the crock pot and dump in all of the following:

3-16 oz jars of Herdez salsa verde (it doesn't HAVE to be Herdez, but that's the best salsa verde ever so you should)
1 can of white beans
1 can of rotel original diced tomatoes (you could also use mild if you want less spicy but it's not that spicy)
1 1/2 cups of frozen white corn

stir it all together and leave it in the pot until it's all hot and bubbly and you're ready to eat it.  It can be ready in as little as 3 hours if you cook it on high.

as for the rice on the side, it was just basic mexican rice but it was the perfect addition.  I will absolutely be making this again.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, that does look good. My appetite has really gotten bigger lately so I want to give this a try right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE chili verde. I'll have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete